CASTLES & FOLLIES

The village of Ardglass contains more castles than any other location in Ireland! In total there are six. The reason was its harbour where it was possible to berth at any state of tide. Of various sizes they are Kings Castle, Jordan's Castle, Margaret's Castle, Cowd Castle, Horn Castle, and the Newark - a fortified warehouse built in 1405 and is now Ardglass Castle.

Drawing of Ardglass
Drawing of Ardglass

How it would have looked in 1500

The Newark
The Newark

Ardglass Castle today

View of Ardglass
View of Ardglass

From Ward Lane, Ardtole

View of Ardglass Castle
View of Ardglass Castle

Ardtole in the background

Ardglass Castle
Ardglass Castle

Harbour to the right

Ardglass Castle
Ardglass Castle

Now the Golf Clubhouse

Ardglass and Horn Castle
Ardglass and Horn Castle

You can see traces of the Newark

Ardglass Castle
Ardglass Castle

View by the sea

King's Castle built in 1210
King's Castle built in 1210

Ruins in 1830s

King's Castle
King's Castle

The two towers on the left are original

Kings Castle
Kings Castle

From the front garden

King's Castle Garden
King's Castle Garden

View of the front

King's Castle
King's Castle

Built for King John to stay

Jordan's Castle
Jordan's Castle

View from Quay Street

Jordan's Castle
Jordan's Castle

From Kildare Street (before restoration)

Jordans Castle
Jordans Castle

From Kildare Street

Ballast Office
Ballast Office

At Margaret's Castle

The Bathing House
The Bathing House

Built in the 1820s

The Eye of Ardglass
The Eye of Ardglass

Located in a private garden

Isabella's Tower
Isabella's Tower

Folly tower on The Ward