CHURCHES

Ardglass has a rich ecclesiastic history. After the Norman Conquest of Ulster Ardglass was made a centre for religion. An ecclesiastic court was established here in the middle ages and the Bishop's Court was nearby. When the town was rebuilt by William Ogilvie it had churches for four Christian denominations. Today three remain.

1291
1291

When Ardglass had a Bishop's Court and Ecclesiastic Court

Saint Nicholas' COI
Saint Nicholas' COI

Site of the Ecclesiastic Court

Saint Nicholas' COI
Saint Nicholas' COI

Rebuilt in 1810

Saint Nicholas' COI spire
Saint Nicholas' COI spire

Rebuilt in 1852

Saint Nicholas' COI
Saint Nicholas' COI

Interior in 1890s

Medieval Headstone from 1585
Medieval Headstone from 1585

In the porch of Saint Nicholas' COI

Saint Nicholas' RC Church
Saint Nicholas' RC Church

Built in 1928

Saint Nicholas' RC Church
Saint Nicholas' RC Church

Before 1914

Lourdes Grotto
Lourdes Grotto

Built in 1914 and taken down in 2005

Saint Nicholas' RC interior
Saint Nicholas' RC interior

Wedding of Henry and Margaret Fitzsimons in 1958

Saint Nicholas RC Interior
Saint Nicholas RC Interior

After alterations in 2005

Calvary Shrine
Calvary Shrine

Built in 1956

Ardtole Church
Ardtole Church

Last of the medieval churches

Ardtole Church
Ardtole Church

View from Sheepland Road

Ardtole's Glass (NMI vaults Dublin)
Ardtole's Glass (NMI vaults Dublin)

Part of the largest collection of the oldest glass ever found in Ireland

Saint Patrick's Well
Saint Patrick's Well

In Sheepland

Pilgrimage
Pilgrimage
Pilgrimage
Pilgrimage
Saint Mary's RC Church
Saint Mary's RC Church

Photographed after the restoration of Our Lady of Dunsford

Choir
Choir

Our Lady of Dunsford's restoration

Our Lady of Dunsford
Our Lady of Dunsford

Restored statue from the 1300s in Chapeltown

Saint Mary's RC interior
Saint Mary's RC interior

Wedding of Bob and Maureen Sharp 1956

Saint Mary's COI
Saint Mary's COI

Built on the medieval site in Dunsford

Anglo-Norman Coffin Lid
Anglo-Norman Coffin Lid

Preserved in Saint Mary's Dunsford