CHAPELTOWN

Strangford Road, Ardglass, BT30 7SP

Small hamlet and church with ancient artefacts

Saint Mary's Church was built at the meeting of five roads in 1791. The builder was Rev. Edward Mulholland who is buried in the graveyard. He visited the medieval churches to gather artefacts and bring them to the new church.

Above the porch is a cross dating to the 900s from Ardtole Church. Two fonts line the path. The square one came from Dunsford. The stone one from Tollumgrange which is marked with a cross.

Under the steeple is the restored statue Our Lady of Dunsford. This dates to around 1300 and is contemporary with many on the continent. It was restored in 1908 by Francis Joseph Bigger when all fragments were found. It is the oldest stone statue of its kind in Ireland!

Facilities

- Car parking

- Toilets (at the rear of the church)

- Curran's Bar & Restaurant

Walks

It is possible to do a short loop to Sheepland from here and visit Saint Patrick's Well 1 mile away.

The church
The steeple
Built in the 1870s
Our Lady of Dunsford
Restored by Francis Joseph Bigger
The choir at the unveiling
1908
Jordan's Castle - Biggers Home
Saint Mary's head in the arch
The Sanctuary
The old interior
Wedding of Bob Maureen Sharp
Window
Curran's
A popular lunch stop
Show More

©2019 Ardglass Development Association

Site design by Duane Fitzsimons

9-11 Bath Street, Ardglass, BT30 7SE

  • White Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Clean
  • #DiscoverArdglass
Curran's

A popular lunch stop